Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Danger

Today I almost got run over by a Haz-mat emergency truck.

I didn't even realize they had emergency trucks.

Apparently they do, and one zipped passed the intersection of Lafayette and Great Jones as I was coming out of work. I shouldn't say zipped. I should say was moving pretty quickly but I was listening to "My Life" by Billy Joel and that made me feel bold so I ran for it.

Things I had learned about myself in the thirty second period on either end of the near-miss:

If I were stuck on a desert island and I could only listen to one artist and I was assigned that artist and it was Billy Joel, I would be cool with that. You're probably wondering why I was assigned an artist and I didn't pick one. Well, the thing is, see, that I was in the Office of Desert Islands for about forty-five minutes going through their collection when I realized they should just pick for me and I'd be fine with whatever. I usually am.

If I wasn't already going to title my autobiography Sorry...So sorry...Sorry I'm Here (per Robber Baron), I would probably call it Fine with Whatever.

Ow.

Anyway, the other thing I learned as the truck drove past was that I absolutely do not question the status of that emergency. Sometimes a police car or even a firetruck will speed by and you'll think "might not be a big deal." I feel like there are no small hazard material leaks. Right?

Which reminds me of Alex Mack. Which I never really watched growing up, but reference frequently.

What's Larissa Oleynik doing?

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Didn't a Hazmat crew get called into your high school to clean up a baking soda spill in the era of ZOMG ANTHRAX? The way I remember you describing it to me was a pile of mysterious white powder next to an overturned box marked "baking soda". Erm.

WORK TOGETHER BUILD TOGETHER said...

For the lovers of art be it oil paintings, acrylics, water paints, abstracts, still life or just swirls of your imagination on the canvas. Find more art at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWYZyShA3c